Sammetria L. Goodson
Founder & Managing Attorney
As an attorney I choose to spend my time working with Creatives doing a variety of cool things. My practice focuses on copyright, trademark, business formation, non-profit formation, contracts/transactional work, licensing, Art Law, Entertainment Law, Fashion Law, outside general counsel services…and if need be, litigation. Before having my own firm I spent time in high-stakes corporate marketing and sales, clerking for the Honorable Leon W. Tucker, litigating, and doing transactional work with Creatives.
My passion for working with people and organizations in creative industries was sparked by exposure to the arts while growing up in Houston, Texas. I hold a BBA in Marketing and a BA in Art History from The University of Texas, Austin, and earned my JD from the Beasley School of Law at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. I have worked with artists, arts organizations, and creatives for fifteen years – well before I went to law school to practice Art Law.
I am a Board Member of Texans for the Arts, and a member of the UT Austin College of Fine Arts Advisory Council. I am also a member and supporter of various local and national arts organizations.
It is a privilege to come alongside Creatives and small business owners as they pursue their dreams and build their companies…and I love being a part of my clients’ “A” team.
I am an up and coming creative and small business owner who had very little knowledge of how to protect my work. Sammetria has been there to guide me through everything step by step. She never makes me feel like another thing on her to-do list or like I wasn’t important because of my income. I feel better having her on my team as I continue to build my company.
Memberships and Affiliations
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- State Bar Associations and Sections
- Dallas Young Lawyers Division Art, Design, and Fashion Law Special Interest Group
- Business Council for the Arts, Leadership Arts Institute Alumni Association
- Terry Foundation, Terry Scholars Alumni Association
- Association of African American Museums
- The NEW Roundtable
- Review panel for municipal arts funding programs
- Review panel for national arts funding programs
- Rising Star – Super Lawyers